Today we caught up with John O’Sullivan of John O’ Sullivan Art. John is an Irish artist that paints in oils and favouring palette knives, his work is energetic and vibrant capturing light and movement in an emotional and instinctive manner.
1. Did you always want to be an artist? How did you get started?
While I always loved art I only started painting 5 years ago. In 2012 I visited Monet’s Gardens on Giverny and began to see the connection between his garden and his work. I think that was the beginning of my artistic journey.
2. Who or what inspires you as an artist?
Though my paintings are abstract I am inspired by nature and the physical world, especially the landscapes and seascapes in Kerry where I live.
3. Have any other artists been influential in your work?
I think my work is influenced by the artists whose work I love. Monet’s Water Lilies and his London bridges, Jack B Yeat’s use of colour to express emotion and Turner’s sunsets.
4. What makes your pieces unique?
Because of my abstract painting process each piece is unique. I paint landscapes and seascapes of the imagination which is forever changing and very personal.
5. Is there a specific technique that you use?
I only use palette knives to apply oil paints onto canvas. I love the texture and fluidity that using knives provides.
6. Do you have a favourite material that you work with?
Oil paints at present but who knows where the journey leads
7. What projects are you currently working on?
Because of the drying time involved in oils I am at present working on an exhibition for 2019. I also have some commissions which I am working on.
8. Do you have a favourite pieces or one that you are most proud of?
I don’t have a favourite painting as such but some do surprise me. I love seeing something in one of my paintings that I had not noticed before.
9. Where can we buy your work?
I sell my work though my website and also at art shows and exhibitions throughout Ireland.
Free tickets to Love Your Home Show Dublin 2019
Get FREE tickets to the Love Your Home Show, Dublin 2019. The Love Your Home Show, created for home lovers will take place in the Citywest Convention Centre, Dublin 8th-10th March 2019.