Palmiers – (Tasty savoury snacks)
1 block puff pastry
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
3 tbsp sun dried tomato pesto
100g feta crumbled
100g mature Irish cheese of your choice
Poppy seed or mustard seeds for sprinkling (optional)
- Cut the block of pastry in half and roll out each half into a rectangle until the pastry is the depth of a £1 coin.
- Spread the mustard on one and the onion chutney on the other. Then roughly grate over the chosen cheese.
- Place a teaspoon at the edge of the pastry to mark the half way point on the shortest edge of each rectangle.
- Starting with the longest side nearest to you tightly roll the pastry towards the teaspoon, stopping at the teaspoon.
- Repeat the process with the far away long edge, rolling until both rolls of pastry are touching.
- Turn over so that the now tight spiral is facing downwards, place on a small board and place in fridge to firm up. (Approx 30 mins)
- Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle over selected seeds if using.
- Repeat this process for the second rectangle of pastry.
- Once chilled, slice the spirals approx. ½ cm apart and place on a lined baking tray and bake in a hot oven 220C, 200c fan, gas 8 or top of AGA roasting oven for 15 mins. (Check after 10 depending on oven)