Most people attach their deck to the rear of their homes, slightly above ground level, but how about:
- Using the area over a garage to create a first-floor sun deck, with suitable balusters for safety.
- Nestling a deck into a hillside or mound in your garden.
- Decking over a disused area of driveway.
- Making an island of decking somewhere in a sunny or sheltered spot.
- Using decking to make boardwalks, or even bridges.
- Decking around a pond.
- Using it as a practical surround for your swimming pool, though this will have to be kept very clean and possibly coated with a non-slip stain.
- Wrapping a deck all the way round your home, to ‘extend’ your rooms.
- Taking a decking pathway with steps and different levels down a hillside.
- Decking into the wasted space in your side-return.
- Creating a dramatic entrance to your house.
- Using a flat rooftop to provide a private, breezy area with views.
- Creating a system of pathways around and within your vegetable garden.
- Setting off your summerhouse or children’s sandpit elegantly.
The possibilities are endless.
Read more about decking here: https://selfbuild.ie/advice/bored-with-your-boards/